Viewed 453 times
Started 2012-06-01T12:14:00+00:00
2 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

stratographic
2012-06-01T12:14:00+00:00
 profile photo
Hi

So..... i spend ages adjusting the curves, fixing the colour, setting subtle shadows, making the picture look as good as i can on my nicely calibrated monitor.
Then i post it, looks ok....

Then im using a different pc and it looks all washed out.... bugger.
Then on a phone it looks way over contrasted, bugger again..

Think to myself.... oh, that pic needs a lot more contrast/saturation/level adjustment, head back to my own pc and monitor and remember that i did all that calibration and that it looks ok on mine.

I know this is just one of those things, but it annoys me, i remember when i had just my laptop for editing and the contrast was soft on the screen and the colours too messed up, so that half my pictures were almost in darkness and way over red on other monitors.

Now that i calibrated my new monitor (using that nifty thing that you use on the screen), i find that my pix look too washed out on "standard" settings on different uncalibrated monitors.

I suppose the answer is not to worry about it, but its a nuisance. Using my samsung galaxy sreen is even worse, it looks great in many ways but tends to overdo the contrast and colours are super saturated, even if you calm it down.

To really accentuate the difference i did an extended display setup, with two monitors, one calibrated and one with my own best guess...... loaded up a picture so that it was displayed on both screens and the difference was shocking, one looked nice and balanced, the other was far too white and the colours looked like comic book stuff.
To be honest, if you only ever used one monitor you proably would never know (and think that other peoples pictures were badly exposed etc..). Right now im back on my laptop and thinking that the last few pictures i put on here look really flat and pale, yet on my super duper monitor they look fine.
Im actually finding that i compensate for it, making things darker than they should be and boosting/cutting the saturation on some colours a bit as i know that other screens will have the brightness too high and the red chanell over boosted...... but this cant be good.

Whats the answer?

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads