ISO dick swinging.

Viewed 1312 times
Started 2014-02-25T09:49:00+00:00
11 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

profilepictures
2014-02-25T09:49:00+00:00
 profile photo
What is it with camera manufacturers, and indeed camera buyers, with the big ISO thing?

I see Nikon announce their latest pro camera today with maximum ISO of 409,600... and I know instinctively it'll be all but unusable at that setting. My own camera (this time a canon, they all play this silly game) boasts 100,000 + on the same scale, and it's utterly horrible if I try it. Being proportional, every camera I've ever noted has at least two high ISO settings which are so dreadful as to be laughable, but still manufacturers embarrass themselves by adding them, and we as consumers seem unbothered that these options are like an ashtray on a motorbike.

I love high ISO, being a fan of the dark, but wouldn't it be more realistic for cameras to come equipped with just the usable range built in? In fact, given that ISO is by definition as standardised range, wouldn't it be possible to gauge acceptable noise at a given light level and use this as a guide in promoting a camera. Parts per million noise or similar?

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads