GWC A can of worms I suspect.

Viewed 1629 times
Started 2011-12-08T17:11:00+00:00
19 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

our man flint
2011-12-08T17:11:00+00:00
 profile photo
Following on from my other post re: looking for models etc,Am I right in my suspicions that a GWC (guy/girl with camera) is something to be avoided like the plague.I've seen on various other sites, most not half as friendly as Madcow that this is often used as a derogotary term for a photographer, usually male who simply has a camera, and not the full lighting and accessory kit to go with it.If so, this begs several questions:
* In order to avoid this term, do I assume that I'd fare better spending circa £10k on a Nikon D3X and the full accessory package.
* At what point can you be considered not to be a GWC? When you have accumulated a vast array of equipment or simply your first set of lighting?
* Are we to assume that the people quoting this term did just that and blew a small fortune on a complete studio and camera set up and went from there, thus avoiding this stigma?
*Is the term purely relative to equipment and not knowledge, experience and qualifications etc?

I'd love some feedback on this from all corners,photographers, models, make-up artists/stylists etc.I'm not looking for a heated debate,rather an informed opinion form a cross section of members.I have far too much respect for everyone here to engage in expletive ridden ranting.
Many thanks and I look forward to your comments
Regards Wayne.

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads