Self portraits (that's a selfie to anyone under 30!)

Viewed 476 times
Started 2016-03-13T21:54:00+00:00
14 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

5 likes 2016-03-13T21:54:00+00:00
 profile photo
Anyone care to share?

I was back in a studio for the first time in a couple of years last month doing a favour for my long term muse, Mary Davidson, who asked me to shoot her mother for a surprise 70th birthday present, and I dared to venture onto the other side of the camera, with Mary for support!

It was fun but henceforth I shall leave the modelling to the models.

For those interested in the technical details...

I had the lighting set for Mary and for the position I was going to occupy and used the intervalometer on my CamRanger (which I use mainly for untethered wireless display to my laptop/tablet) to initiate a time-lapse sequence giving me time to get into position, and for Mary and me to strike our pose (the intervalometer can be set for any length of time delay but in my case has to be quick as my legs don't last long - wheelchair is just out of shot), before my camera took the photo.

The key light is a softbox modified light just above head height, angled down, just a few feet to the front and straight on and the 'fill' (in fact, at one-to-one power ratio with the key light to nullify shadows that would otherwise appear under the eyes and nose) is a stripbox modified light lay horizontal on the floor angled up, and again in front to create clam shell (ish) lighting. There is a 'hair' light, an unmodified light, to the rear and right of Mary (as you view), which is being feathered across the white background. A second background light (beauty dish with sock on) is being bounced off the corner of the white background at the rear to the left of me.

I wanted my camera settings to be f/4.0 (modern digital cameras/lenses being pin sharp when used at their optimum apertures and given my advancing years I wanted to be a little kind to myself and f/4 would be a tad more forgiving - just had to be sure the focus was preset to be spot on) at 1/200 with an ISO of 100.

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads