Quality lens tip - Xmas ideas perhaps?

Viewed 550 times
Started 2013-12-23T12:25:00+00:00
3 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

profilepictures
2013-12-23T12:25:00+00:00
 profile photo
I've had a Sigma 50mm f1.4 for a while now, the EX DG variant. Build quality and glass are a mile better than the Canon equivalent and its front element doesn't break at the tiny tap the Canon did (twice repaired at £120 a go) It's pin sharp and catches focus in the very lowest light your camera can handle, great Bokeh and isolation of subject. For full frame it's about as good as you'll get for sensible money, usually around £250 second hand. Quite a few folk have caught on with this lens option.

However,

My partner shoots crop at 1.6 and whilst she liked the 50mm, felt it left her too far away in cramped conditions, so scouted out the Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DC, the crop sensor version. No great surprise that it is of the same standard as the DG version, and bought S/H for £180 delivered. I've seen them around £200 mostly on ebay but they're not hugely expensive new.

So that's it, if you're looking for a quality prime, low light capability, bokeh and low vignetting, durability and a value, my tip would be consider the Sigma 50&30mm, you're unlikely to exceed either for less than £1000 in my opinion.

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads