What makes a model?

Viewed 522 times
Started 2014-04-19T09:42:00+00:00
6 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

2014-04-19T09:42:00+00:00
 profile photo
I've noticed looking through the profiles on here that a lot of the 'Models' on here don't seem to do a lot , or if they do it's with one photographer. In some cases this is because they work really well together and this can be seen in the images they produce, but in other cases I'm not sure. It has been said a lot on here that some 'Models' are only on here so they can say they are a model. Well sorry ladies, but models are hard working people who have the unenviable task of constantly looking good, being cheerful and actually knowing what they are doing when they are in front of the camera. They have to achieve this and remain professional while they are dashing round the Country to shoots, or going on tours to increase their exposure and get know elsewhere.

I joined this site because I want to increase the scope of my portfolio, which covers all sorts of subjects. Last week I was in Wales shooting landscapes, yesterday it was mountain bikers, today it's food. In a week's time I'm off to Hereford for a re-union, but will be shooting a lot of agriculture and food related stuff whilst I'm in the area. This area of work is completely different, working with models is a completely different ball game, so I'm having to think the logistics through. I don't want to just shoot any model doing just anything, as this would be counter-productive and wouldn't benefit either of us, so I'm picky, although partly for financial reasons, as travel doesn't come cheap and model rates, however reasonable, have to be put into the equation.

Unfortunately a lot of the models I think may be worth shooting are at the other end of the Country, one notable exception being 10 miles away, so I'm still looking. Alicia Mae raised an interesting point in another post about cancellations. For the benefit of anyone, either models or photographers, this does matter, especially if travel is involved for either party. I'm sure a lot of wannabee models think that when the pictures have been taken the job is over for the photographer, but it doesn't work like that. Most mornings I'm in Costa Coffee in Cannock editing what I've shot the day before, as it's easier to concentrate here than with the radio blaring at home, then I get on with whatever I'm doing that day, before going back to the images I've picked as 'Keepers'.

I'm not complaining because it beats the hell out of my press days, when I was driving miles to find obscure locations, following a rubbish brief form the paper about the subject matter. No GPS in those days and no digital, so it was fairly normal to arrive home at midnight, then into the darkroom to print for a tight deadline.

Good models are worth the effort, because they are the ones who can be all things to all men and there are some very notable examples on here, as well as examples of 'Models' who have a fixed expression whether they are doing a product shoot, art shoot, or letting it all hang out for a glamour shoot. That's how I see models, as professionals who know their job and as photographers I feel we owe them the respect we would show any fellow professional.

Right back to the coffee :-)

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads