How not to pose.

Viewed 1099 times
Started 2014-05-15T07:26:00+00:00
10 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

2014-05-15T07:26:00+00:00
 profile photo
I've just had a trawl through the latest images and it's very noticeable when the person behind the camera and the model are working to get something different. A lot of images show no imagination whatsoever and belong in the group of stock poses straight out of the 'Posing for dummies' book, but every so often images appear on her which are World class and show that model and photographer know instinctively how to get the best out of the shot.

I'd love to hear from models what they think when they are in front of the camera. Does it matter to you that you are appearing in an endless stream of similarly posed pictures, or do you look at the images on here and think that you would love to work with someone who produces consistently excellent work by throwing away the book. I often find when I click to comment on an image that it is taken by someone whose work I've commented on before, because their work stands out. The model doesn't necessarily have to be stunningly beautiful either, because quite often when I click to comment I realise that I'm looking at a model I've seen in dozens of photographs, but not noticed because the pictures we badly posed, badly lit, or badly shot.

There are only a certain number of variations on poses, but some models and photographers have the ability to take poses which have been used countless times before and lift an image to a higher level.

At the other end of the scale are the dire images which look like the photographer has ordered poses from a menu by number, featuring bored models, then there are the images which have been taken by someone who has just had a digital camera, conned their girlfriend or neighbour into posing and not even considered such things as background, lighting, composition etc. I have to ask if they care, because not everyone looks good whether nude or clothed, but on a certain day, in certain light and when they are thinking about something they like, they are beautiful or handsome for a split second, which is the split second that makes the difference.

The pictures on here which catch my eye are the ones that are natural and believable. No matter how good the setting, unless the model can fit into it and the photographer has a natural instinct for what looks right, it won't work.

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads