Appropriation Artist

Viewed 321 times
Started 2015-06-04T12:54:00+00:00
2 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

AyGee
2015-06-04T12:54:00+00:00
 profile photo
Transformative is the word apparent. It was briefly on the news yesterday there's this kid in America who's nicking peoples instagram shots, modding them up a bit, and selling them for tens of thousands of dollars. When one photographer decided to sue, the judge decided in the favour of... yes you've guessed it, the thief.

www.artinamericamagazine.com/news-features/news/richard-prince-wins-major-victory...

The mind goes numb... why can't the photographer get that kind of money for their shots ? what makes this wanker so fucking great anyway that he's able to do... that! It makes you wonder why you became a creative, when tits like this asshole can take your work, break it apart and make a mint from it. The artist (and I use the term loosely) said "I don't really have a message" or any comment on the originals". Some of his catalog was ordered destroyed, but not before he made an epic fortune from it.

Another wanker-thief 'Koons' said "My paintings are not about objects or images that I might invent, but rather about how we relate to things that we actually experience. . . . Therefore, in order to make statements about contemporary society and in order for the artwork to be valid, I must use images from the real world. I must present real things that are actually in our mass consciousness." - yeah, so get out with a camera - Ohh interesting, Click, job done. Use that !

Apparently though it's 'fair use' ... new esthetics, new information, new work, new copyright.

Thoughts ?

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads