Started 2011-12-26T18:15:00+00:00
15 following this thread
Back to Member Chat

stratographic
2011-12-26T18:15:00+00:00
 profile photo
Hi

hopefully this won't offend anyone :)

I've noticed a lot of models recently advertise themselves as beginners or some experience, yet have set rates at £40 an hour or so.

Now this might be very reasonable but as a photographer who is looking to try different things and experiment with techniques i'm a little hesitant to pay that for a model who might need a lot of direction or not be as intuitive as a pro model who charges much the same.

I still think that tfp is the way to go on a first shoot with a new model, then if it goes well for both, the next shoot can be paid for, with both parties knowing what to expect.

Years ago when I used to book photographers for shoots I only paid them if I had already known them or worked with them for someone else, and most models then followed the same route.

I'm happy to pay for specific styles, but would think that if rates were either free for first shoots or set at a low cost to cover expenses etc then it would be better.

Now, this isn't a dig at the models, there are some gorgeous models here and some totally deserve whatever they charge, probably more, but I think that beginner models should go the tfp route until they have a wide and varied portfolio with lots of recommendations, then set charges as they wish.

I hope this doesn't sound mean lol, I put together my own home studio to cut studio costs (though it cost a fortune to buy all the lighting etc), messing I can work with a model for the first time without either of us being out of pocket (as I can pay all the expenses), and also means I can afford to pay her more for the next shoots as i'm not paying for a studio.
Hiring a studio for 3 hours and paying a model over £80 or so is a big expense when neither of you have worked together before and it might not "gel".

anyway, was just a thought, no offence at anyone intended, and like I said, I will pay over the going rates for models I know I can get on with and can help me get the shots I want.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too "bah humbug" at Christmas time.

Oh... Should have said, by no means let this put you off from offering me a shoot and quoting your rates, i'm still happy to pay for models who I really want to work with or have portfolios with shots similar to something that I have asked for in a casting.

Thanks for reading :)

Opinions expressed within this thread are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ModelFolio, nor its associates.
ModelFolio accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for the content or accuracy of authors comments.

Join ModelFolio for Free! Log in

By using ModelFolio services you agree to our Cookie Use. We and our partners operate globally and use cookies for analytics, personalisation, and ads